Tuesday 14 January 2014

Hit the Ground Running

Happy new year!

After a busy end of term and an amazing two weeks back in the UK, I've finally had the time to make a new video. I have been back in Oyonnax for just over a week and as the title suggests I definitely feel that I've hit the ground running. One of my new year's resolutions was simply to 'do more' here in France and look for even more opportunities and so far I have visited Geneva, been to Les Gets for an amazing day of skiing, potentially joined some sort of theatre club and tomorrow I'm going to Lyon to watch (apparently a very important) football match against Marseille.

The video shows my trip to Turin in December, as well as my two recent trips to Geneva and Les Gets. Being a language assistant and earning money is definitely the reason for all of the travelling I've been able to do, and so I still definitely think that I chose the right option.



For those who are interested, I am still really enjoying the work. I'm taking advantage of the fact that I work in a school so close the the French Alps, and so last week I prepared activities on ski safety and this week we're working on the upcoming Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.

To finish on some funny classroom stories at the expense of my pupils, yesterday a boy in my class thought that the word for an 'avocado' was 'lawyer'. Although I found it hard not to laugh at the idea of making guacamole with a lawyer, it is actually an easy mistake to make seeing as the word 'avocat' in French means both 'avocado' and 'lawyer'. Finally, today a girl in my class didn't quite get the hang of the name game when you say your name and then something you like or don't like beginning with the same letter, eg. 'my name is Nick and I don't like nuts'. After everyone else had said their name and a corresponding noun she proudly announced, "my name is Gwendoline and I don't like tomatoes"... maybe it is one of those 'you had to be there' moments but it was definitely the most I have ever laughed in class, and luckily she saw the funny side too.


à bientôt!




No comments:

Post a Comment